Make a will for the loved ones you leave behind

By Bernadette Chua |


Estate Planning

It’s not a subject we like to talk about, or even to think about  – which is probably why nearly half of all Australians die without a will.

If you die without a valid will, an administrator is appointed by the court to;

  • arrange your funeral,
  • collect your assets, and
  • pay any debts and taxes,
  • Establish your family tree (evidence for which must be collected),
  • distribute your remaining assets to your spouse and children according to a set formula, which varies across the States and Territories
  • if you don’t have a surviving spouse or children, then the assets are passed to parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, or to the government, administer the assets on behalf of beneficiaries who are minors (or otherwise incapable) which may require an insurance bond

It can be a lengthy and expensive process for your already grieving relatives.

Making a will can be as easy as filling out a form and lodging it.

You appoint a person you trust to carry out your instructions (your executor). You may choose to leave particular personal items to certain people, and/or simply divide your assets evenly (or unevenly) between the people you nominate. You can even specify funeral arrangements and make gifts to charities or educational institutions, if you wish.

How do you go about making a will?

Ideally, you should involve a solicitor so you can be sure your will is valid and covers your situation. Even if you use a kit (see right) it’s a good idea to have a solicitor check it.

If you can’t afford a private solicitor’s fee, check with your State or Territory Public Trustee. Some will not charge to prepare or update your will, but only if they act as the executor of your will. Other Public Trustees may only exempt you from charges if you are a pensioner or aged over 60.

ACT – Public Trustee for the ACT

NSW – NSW Trustee and Guardian

Northern Territory – Office of the Public Trustee

Queensland – The Public Trustee of Queensland

South Australia – Public Trustee South Australia

Tasmania – Public Trustee Tasmania

Victoria – State Trustees Victoria

Western Australia – Public Trustee Western Australia

Done? Excellent. Now make sure your executor and/or family have a copy or know where you keep it. Also make sure you update it when circumstances change, especially if you marry, divorce or separate, have children or grandchildren, if your spouse or beneficiaries die, or if you have a significant change in financial circumstances.

DIY Will Kits

Australia Post sells Will Kits and there are a lot of online DIY offerings available.

These are better than nothing (as long as they are filled out and signed properly) but really only cater for very simple circumstances.

If you don’t currently have any will, then you may want to use a kit as a temporary solution.

This will give you time to consult a solicitor or public trustee.

1 Join the Discussion
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x

Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (1) in /srv/wwwroot/ on line 4673

Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (1) in /srv/wwwroot/ on line 4673